Starting Time - 6:30am
Duration - 8-12 hours
Minimum age - Ages 11
Physicality - High
Price - AUD 275.00 per person
Explore hidden waterfalls deep in the rainforest. A challenging yet rewarding walk, away from the crowds and a favourite with the locals.
Located in the Bowling Green Bay National Park, this challenging off-track 12-kilometre return walk is steep and rugged but offers guests a truly unique experience. As you make your way up the creek, walk through a variety of terrain ranging from lowland rainforest to a thick rainforest and granite outcrops 500m up.
Scramble over boulders to reach The Terraces, a tired waterfalls system surrounded by rainforest. Enjoy sublime views out across the rainforest and out to the coastline, and the Coral Sea. The views, refreshing water, and abundant birdlife make the hard work worthwhile.
The ultimate day in the rainforest
The path less travelled
This challenging route provides an opportunity to explore the upland and lowland rainforests of the Bowling Green Bay National Park. Explore a world rarely seen by humans. This area is a wonderland!
Unique plants and animals
Surround yourself in an ancient landscape filled with an exotic array of wildlife and plants found nowhere else in the world!
A worthy challenge
To reach the top of The Terraces, you'll need to navigate through a diverse terrain of rainforest boulders and tree roots.
On top of the world!
With grand views of the rainforest and the Coral Sea, the hard work really really pays off.
- Transfers from Townsville City Centre
- Passionate local guide
- Fully guided interpretive bushwalk
- Hiking Poles
- Gourmet picnic lunch
- All safety equipment
- Comfortable backpack with water bladder*
- Small groups – maximum 8
- Insect repellent
*Please advise if you have your own backpack
What to bring
- Shoes with good grip suitable for walking long distances on uneven terrain (may get wet)
- Hat and Sunglasses
- Long-sleeved sun-shirt and pants*
- Any personal medication
- Spare change of clothes
- Swimwear and towel
*Do not wear jeans. Quick-dry/activewear is recommended
If you have any questions about equipment, please contact our friendly office
The route is 12 kilometres return and takes approx. 8-12 hours to complete. This is only suitable for fit and active individuals.
- Due to the region's weather, this tour will only operate between April to October. Dates outside of this will only be considered if the weather is suitable.
- This tour is weather dependant, a full refund will be offered if cancelled due to adverse weather conditions.
- Not recommended if pregnant
- No knee, ankle, hip issues/injuries
- A high level of fitness is required and good mobility and balance
- Must be able to walk/climb over uneven terrain
- Closed-toed shoes are required; preferably hiking shoes.
- The minimum age to participate is 11 years old.
If you have any concerns, please contact us before booking to have a chat about the route.
- The minimum age is 11 years
- All children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult
Tours run on demand from April to October.
Minimum of 3 x guests to guarantee departure
Townsville: 6.30am – return 4.30pm
No Tours run Christmas Day (25th Dec)
For safety reasons, some medical conditions, disabilities or impairments may exclude participants from our hiking tours.
If our guides deem it unsafe for you to participate, you will not be able to continue on the tour.
If you have any concerns, please contact us before booking, as refunds are not guaranteed and are at the discretion of Wanderstories management.
Prior to your tour, you will be required to complete a medical questionnaire and sign our liability waiver.
All persons under 18 years must have the Medical Declaration & Waiver Release signed by a parent or guardian.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How difficult is the walk?
This is a challenging 8-12 hour hike, only suitable for fit and active individuals. We gain 500m in elevation over the course of the day. The first section of the walk is on a rough track. Once we reach the 2.5 km mark, the trail does become more difficult as we begin to walk off-track and are walking cross-country and in the overflow of the creek.
What if I can't make it all the way?
After the first 2.5 km of flattish walking, the terrain becomes more difficult. The base of The Terraces will be used as a turnaround point if guests are not up to the challenge of reaching the top, or your guide feels there won't be enough time left in the day. We may spend time at princess pools and stop off at the rock slides on the return journey.
These areas still provide an incredible experience and an opportunity to swim. We can spend more time exploring this area, before heading back to the vehicle.
Can I swim during the walk?
Yes, absolutely. Relax and watch for wildlife, or enjoy a swim in the deep rock pools; with morning tea to replenish your energy.
How long does the tour go for?
From Townsville, the tour is approx 10-12 hours including transfers.
On average, we take about 8-10 hours to complete the route. This includes many breaks, swimming, and plenty of photo opportunities.
Group size, weather and fitness levels can change the time taken to complete.
If we have excess time, we can go deeper into the rainforest and explore more.
Do we still run the tour if it is raining?
While the rainforest loves the rain, we may need to cancel if there's a chance of rain or if any storms are predicted.
We will keep you updated on any changes as we approach your tour date.
If we cancel the tour, a full refund will be provided.
Do I need to call to confirm my booking?
While not necessary, we appreciate it if you contact us (call or email) 24 hours before travel to confirm accommodation details and pick up time. We can also update you on the creek conditions.
Do I need my voucher?
If you've booked the tour directly with Wanderstories, there is no need to bring any vouchers or confirmation emails.
If the tour has been booked through a travel desk/travel agent, please bring your voucher along with you to give to the guide.
- Cancellations outside of 72 hours from departure — no charge.
- Cancellations within 48-72 hours before departure — 50% charge.
- Cancellations less than 48 hours before departure, or no show — 100% cancellation fee applies.
- Date changes are free of charge, but must be received by email or phone, 48 hours prior to tour departure.
- All changes are subject to availability and are made at the discretion of the operator.
Booking Terms & Conditions
By booking a The Terraces Hiking tour, you agree to be bound by our "Booking Terms and Conditions" and "Medical Waiver".
- The minimum age of participation is 11 years old*
- As this tour is weather dependent, it may be cancelled in conditions of heavy rainfall or extreme weather. If this occurs, bookings can be placed on another date or full refunds will be provided.
- If you are not waiting at your pick-up point at the date and time specified in your booking, then you will forfeit 100% of the total price paid. At the discretion of Wanderstories, you may be able to reschedule for another day with an added rescheduling fee.
- A medical declaration form must be completed. Any serious medical condition or history may disallow you from participating in the tour.
- If your guide determines it is unsafe for you to participate; due to an insufficient level of mobility and/or fitness, participant/s will have to leave the tour and forfeit 100% of the total price paid.
- Prices listed on the website supersede all previously advertised prices. Prices are valid until 31/3/2021.
Full terms and conditions can be found HERE.